2022 5oz Gilded Silver Proof Coin – Farewell to the Penny: 10th Anniversary
A nostalgic look back! It was 10 years ago, in 2012, that the last Canadian penny was struck at the Winnipeg facility. Until that moment, the copper-plated cent was everywhere: it jingled in the pockets and purses of Canadians for generations filled countless coin jars and its maple leaf twig design was a part of our everyday lives. Now, a decade later, its iconic design has been given a new life and a modern twist on this 5 oz. fine silver tribute, which has been enhanced with reverse gold plating to add a precious gleam.
This stunning 5 Oz Silver coin is dedicated to the 10th Anniversary of Canadian Penny, which has not been minted since 2012. The coin is gold plated, has a proof quality and comes in a case, along with the certificate of authenticity. The reverse of the coin depicts the typical Canadian penny design with a difference: the twig and twin maple leaves depicts with geometric pattern that add more depth and facets. All around the reverse, the inscriptions: “CANADA” – the issuing country and “1 CENT” – the face value AND “2022” the year of the issue. The obverse of the coin depicts the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the inscriptions: “ELIZABETH II” – the name of the Queen and “D.G. REGINA”, the latin acronym for Dei Gratia.
- A MODERN INTERPRETATION! The penny’s iconic maple leaf twig design is back, but there’s a twist! The twig and twin maple leaves have been given a more contemporary appearance, with geometric angles that add more depth than ever, and engraved facets that catch and reflect the light.
- REVERSE GOLD PLATING! This coin is crafted from 5 oz. of 99.99% pure silver, which is only visible on the effigy and select design elements on the reverse. The rest of the coin is plated with beautiful yellow gold that outshines even the brightest copper penny.
- IMPRESSIVE SIZE! With its 65.25 mm diameter, this spectacular showpiece is more than three times the size of the original penny (19.05 mm). It weighs considerably more, too: 157.6 grams compared to the penny’s 2.35 grams.
- VERY LOW MINTAGE! Only 1,500 are available to collectors worldwide.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
Call us today to purchase a trip down memory lane with a gorgeous design!
- Weight: 5oz | 155.5 g
- Purity: 999 Fine Silver
- Year: 2022
- Country: Canada
- Certified: Royal Canadian Mint
- Mintage: 1500
- Finish: Gold Plated
- Face Value: 1 Cent CAD
* Price guide only. Subject to product availability and order quantity.